.

.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Our First Blessing

Blogging wasn't really around much when London was born. Of course, I have every detail of her life carefully and beautifully scrapbooked for her to enjoy when she's older (cough) but I'm certain that the Sewell Train audience would LOVE to see Baby London. So, I've decided to follow up any "milestone" posts about Hadley with one about L. Birth is definitely a milestone, so here we go :)

First off, it's probably going to get more lengthy and more detailed than most people care to read. I'm hoping that L will enjoy reading about herself someday. I won't be offended if you skip right to the pictures. (like I'd even know :) )

London was a very easy pregnancy. I do remember quite a bit of heartburn, but I was only tired for a few weeks, I was never sick, and she was so small that I never really got all that uncomfortable. I remember my visiting teachers coming over and asking me when I was due. When I said that I was due within the week, they were a bit surprised. They said I only looked seven months along. She's always been a peanut.

Full-term with L.
Sure, my face is huge, but compare the belly size
to what I had with Hadley.

Toward the end of my pregnancy, L seemed about as excited to make her way out of her cozy home in my belly as Hadley was. I honestly thought she was going to be induced. My doctor (may he rest in peace) had me scheduled for an induction the day after she was due. What a great guy. :) So, this is how I thought it would go down: I would go to the hospital at a scheduled date and time, makeup on, hair done, etc. The powers that be would start the induction process (whatever that was) and at the first hint of pain would send for the drugs. I was imagining watching movies and playing games with Brandon, just laying around relaxing... ah, the cute ignorance of the first time mother.

The morning of April 8, I woke up with a backache and told Brandon, "hmm... maybe I won't make it to my induction" which was scheduled for the 12th. I walked around the house all day picking things up, vacuuming, etc. All things that my former roommates will tell you is NOT normal behavior for me. I had no idea I was going into labor, I just felt busy. It's so funny, the doctor tells you that you'll know you're really in labor when contractions are harder, longer, and closer together, right? And, everyone says, "oh, you'll know when you're in labor." I really was so confused. False labor vs real labor, fluctuating lengths, contractions going away when I walked around... finally around 11 pm I said to Brandon, "if this isn't real labor, I don't think that I'll be able to do the real thing." We decided it might be a good time to go ahead and go the hospital.

After we arrived at the hospital the nurse said that they'd need to wait another hour just to make sure I really was in labor. I just about started to cry when she said that. Right as she walked out of the room I said to Brandon, "I think my water just broke... at least I hope it did, b/c the alternative is just too embarrassing." Fortunately, I was right, and that was proof enough for the nurse that I was, indeed, in labor.

The funniest (although not necessarily at the time) part of the night was when Brandon went out to the nurses station to fill out some papers. Being the first Saturday of the month, Brandon had already begun his fast for Sunday. I like to tell him that he has the most efficient body on the planet. I imagine the food he eats is immediately and entirely converted to energy, and he doesn't have much of a reserve tank. So, as he was walking down the hall sometime after midnight, he started to black out. The nurses freaked out, made him drink some juice and we're telling him not to panic, it's just a baby, he'll be fine, etc. I'm pretty sure he was more prepared for fatherhood than that, but it does make me wonder if fathers passing out in the delivery room is common. I kind of figured it was something that only happened on TV.

Anyway, this is getting really lengthy, so I'll just say that I soon discovered that I, like my mother, have fast labors. The nurses were a little stressed out b/c they couldn't reach my doctor and I almost didn't get an epidural. My labor slowed down a little once I did get one (which was good b/c L wasn't descending very quickly and the contractions were causing her heartbeat to fluctuate... they almost used that creepy vacuum thing to get her out). BTW, my doctor never did make it.

When she was born they put her on my belly and I was so surprised how not grossed out I was. Then they weighed her and I was surprised she was so little. The nurse handed her to Brandon (who was obviously smitten) and after a minute I said, "um... can I see her? I haven't seen her face." She was so tiny and beautiful, with a head full of red hair. She had such a serious look on her face and she looked me right in the eyes. Both of my girls did that. Focused on your face and peered right through you.

Anyway, here's my baby London Aleta!

I didn't have a fabulous photographer around
to take newborn pictures of L, but she's darling anyway :)


4 comments:

Amy said...

So fun to read that and see London's arrival. The older ones do get the shaft with ever changing technology!

I miss you so much, it's like there is a hole in my heart;)

Jules said...

LOL! Oh Amy... You love you to death. You make me laugh.

Kathleen said...

I love it! Both stories, how lovely ;)

Larissa said...

Now I don't feel so bad with my 3 month old posts with this one being 3 years late :). Cute little L. I showed Easton her baby picture and he knew who she was right away. Oh, and he mentioned he wanted to talk on the computer again. So, I'll be in touch about another skype date.